Love Handles and Muffin Top may sound cute, but in reality, there is absolutely nothing cute or wonderful with having them. They pose as a serious health risk and have a number of disadvantages that range from the aesthetic to the psychological. Clothes may not fit well, you may be prone to heart diseases or you may even limit your activities due to these minute, supposedly trivial things.
These are not minute issues however. Love handles and muffin tops are fat deposits in the body that are located at your midsection. To start eliminating them, the first thing you need to address is your weight. These two conditions only exist when your body is bigger than it should be, so losing weight should be of the utmost priority. Here are some of the exercises which you can try:
Because our muscles co-exist, exercising one muscle group is bound to benefit another set of muscles. Such is the case for this particular exercise. Strengthening your back will create upper body balance thus lessening the fat in your midsection.
- Lie on your stomach with your face down.
- Keep your arms straight or bend them with your elbows near your face.
- Inhale and then slowly lift both knees and feet while fluttering them to and fro. (Be careful not to do this too vigorously or you may smash your toe on the floor)
- Do this for 20 seconds and for at least 5 reps.
- Rest for about 20 seconds before starting repeating.
There are many variations of this famous ab exercise. The best of these may be the twist crunch albeit any crunch type may also help you achieve your goal.
- Lie on your back and bend your knees.
- Place both hands behind your neck but be careful not to lock them.
- Twist to the right to have your right elbow touch your left knee and vice versa.
- Repeat this at least 25 times.
Trunk twists are great in the sense that you can do this almost anywhere. There is no need for exercise mats nor will you have to lie down on your back to exercise.
- Stand with your feet at least one foot apart.
- Twist your upper body to one side while making sure that your hips and legs are unmoving and stable. Make a punching motion in the air towards the direction of the twist you are doing.
- Maintain at least 100 reps of this simple exercise.
Love Handles and Muffin Tops are not inevitable or unavoidable. It will however, call for a radical change in your food choices and habits – you lifestyle, in general. You will need to first resolve and maintain a healthy diet and then follow through and commit to constantly exercise. Once this is done, you will not only feel lighter and healthier, you will also be more confident and outgoing with the knowledge that you look fit.